Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service is a confidential, impartial, voluntary, and free support service offered to every WSHA tenant.  We can help with a number of issues including:

  • Debts and financial commitments
  • Advice via - telephone, online or face to face/home visits (Covid restrictions dependant)
  • Financial responsibilities relating to tenancy management
  • Assessing household Income and Expenditure
  • Discussions surrounding Income maximisation.
  • Advice with money management and budgeting skills
  • Negotiating with creditors to postpone or prevent court action.
  • Negotiate and agree affordable and realistic repayment figures with creditors.
  • Source and apply for funding opportunities on behalf of tenants where criteria is met.
  • Signpost to additional internal and external support services

You can contact our Money Advice Officer by:

Phone: 077100 91532 / 0141 550 5600 (option 4)


Or complete a referral form

Sharn - Money Advice

Click the button below to refer yourself for support:

Referral Form Button