Help with paying your rent

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit to cover all or part of your rent. You do not need to be receiving other benefits to qualify.

If you receive Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance, you will be entitled to receive Housing Benefit. If you are working or on any other benefit, if Housing Benefit is paid it is likely not to cover your full rent. This means that you will have to pay something towards your rent.

How do I Claim?

Housing Benefit

You need to complete and send in a Housing Benefit application form to your Council. These forms are complicated and our staff can help check your Housing Benefit form and verify any relevant documentation if necessary.  We will then pass this on to the Council.

Univeral Credit

To apply for UC at you must have a bank account and email address. Remember to include your exact monthly rent/service charge when you claim, so that your housing costs can be included. You will be given an online account known as a journla and the DWP will explain how and when to access it.

What documents do I need to show the council?

You will need to provide proof of income to the Council i.e. your 3 most recent payslips or if you are not working confirmation of what benefits you are receiving. All income should be declared. You will also have to provide proof of your identity e.g. a passport or birth certificate.